Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mystic Pizza


Let me begin by saying that I am no movie connoisseur.  I don't hold a love for watching movies, often times I would rather be doing something else, and to be honest, I tend to fall asleep during most films (yes, even at the theater).  However, last night had me in a strange mood.  Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was avoiding studying for finals (they start next week!), but I was dying to snuggle up in bed and watch a good movie.  So after searching through countless Netflix archives, I finally picked a movie that I'd never heard of - Mystic Pizza.

At this point, I'd like to advise you to stop whatever you are doing and go watch this movie IMMEDIATELY.  You may be skeptical.  The title doesn't exactly hold a ton of promise.  It was made in 1988.  You probably didn't even know it existed.  But I promise, this is one of the best movies I've seen it a long time.  It's the perfect mix of friendship, love, laughter, and tears- what else does the quintessential feel-good movie need?  Not to mention, it has Julia Roberts, whom I love with all my heart.  A young, heartthrob Matt Damon also makes a quick appearance, if you need a little bit more enticement. 



 So go.  Watch it.  Thank me later.

A few other quick points to be made:
1.  I should have grown up in the eighties.  I can do big hair like no other.
2.  A surprisingly awesome alternative to the giant bags of candy that normally accompany movies is cereal - eat it dry, with no milk and a smaller amount of your favorite candy mixed in.  I did honey nut cheerios with peanut m&ms.  You can snack on it forever, and it's better for you than eating an entire bowl of straight candy.
3.  Also start watching Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations on the Travel Channel.  Funny, interesting, educational way to expand those horizons and see the world from your very own living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment